Tuesday, February 28, 2012

GoSoapBox.com: Edu Features

GoSoapBox has been reviewed by educators posting on sites, such as, Edutopia, Mashable, and PoketFullOfApps. And it was cover on Arizona's Channel 4 News.

Here is my first impression of its uses in the classroom.

Pros:

  • Requires student or group name
    • Provides data collection from polls and quizzes
    • Allows teacher to export spreadsheet of student correct or incorrect responses
  • Easy to use Polls and Quizzes 
    • Allows teacher to ask multiple choice, short answer, or poll questions
    • Provides real time graphic update
  • Students are allowed to ask questions 
    • Students may choose to answer or vote for the question to be addressed
  • Teacher created discussion questions 
    • Students may respond 'anonymously' to the question (the teacher may see the students name)
    • Easy to delete inappropriate questions 
  • Confusion Barometer
    • Teacher and students are able to view a real time graph of the number of students who are having trouble with the material
Cons:
  • TBD

Check out GoSoapBox on Facebook or watch a classroom full of iPads interact with GoSoapBox



Example used in class:


Teacher's page:
 Students Page:
 





3 comments:

  1. I took the tour and decided to sign up for a free trial: I liked the confusion barometer. I was playing out how this would fly with my seventh graders, and I've decided it might be better suited for 8th grade and up. It's not that I don't think you could teach the younger set the acceptable use policy, but I think it would require a certain level of maturity to get the most out of all of this program's features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the program works on a foudations of assumptions that would rewuire an educator to reevaluate their classroom dynamic. But from the recent NYTimes article on Mooresville*, “You have to trust kids more than you’ve ever trusted them.Your teachers have to be willing to give up control.”


    *http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/education/mooresville-school-district-a-laptop-success-story.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

    P.S. Where is the button to insert links into comments? Or does that involve writing HTML or CSS code?

    ReplyDelete